Caroline shows you step by step how to make delicious and healthy sweet potato falafel. These are ideal as a quick snack or served with a seasonal salad for lunch or dinner. These are a must try – they are incredible!
Serves 2 of 5 falafel each
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 spring onions roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh chilli finely chopped (or a sprinkle of dried chipotle chilli)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or one small fresh clove crushed)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp almond nut butter
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Generous pinch course sea salt/ pink himalayan salt
- 1 generous tsp coconut oil for frying
For tahini dressing
- 1 generous tsp tahini
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- Water for thinning
- Heat oven to 220 degrees.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks and roast for 25mins. If you don’t have baking paper roasting the potato in a little coconut oil works too!
- While sweet potato is cooking prepare and add all other falafel ingredients (except coconut oil) into a food processor. Once the sweet potato has finished cooking add to mixture already in the food processor. Pulse to get a smooth consistency (approx 5mins). You will need to stop and scrape a couple of times.
- Remove the mixture from the processor and using 1 tablespoon per falafel roll into small balls.
- You can heat them as they are now or have them cold. If you want to heat the falafel use a small amount of oil and toss continuously in the heat for 3-4mins.
- To prepare the tahini dressing mix all of the ingredients together. This can also be done while potato is cooking!
Seasonal Green Salad – Cauliflower Cous Cous – Sauerkraut
Recipe from the lovely Eve Kalinik: